Ever felt embarrassed to show your teeth while talking or taking a picture? You’re not alone. Thousands of people feel self-conscious about smiling, wishing they had beautiful teeth that were whiter and straighter. Everyone loves a great smile, but not everyone feels confident smiling. Add bad breath, bleeding gums or tooth decay to the mix, and it’s easy to be concerned with something as simple as having a conversation with others. My passion as a dentist is to help all my patients get the smile of their dreams. Why? Because studies show smiling is good for you! Here are three amazing side effects of smiling:
1. AN OVERALL “IMPROVED” APPEARANCE
* Many studies show that those who smile often are perceived by others to be healthier, happier, younger, and even thinner than those who do not smile.
* Just by smiling, even a forced one, your body releases endorphins and serotonin that are known as the “feel good” hormones. You know as they say, “When you feel good, you look good!”
2. BETTER RELATIONSHIPS
* A smile is contagious. A genuine smile will instantly elevate those around you and put them at ease. Individuals tend to relax and smile instinctively when they’re being smiled at by someone else.
* People are naturally attracted to those who smile. Smiling makes you more approachable while appearing more kind and welcoming.
3. HELP YOU BECOME MORE SUCCESSFUL
* Having, and knowing you have, a nice smile can strengthen one’s self-esteem.
* A better self-image can increase your confidence, which is a key ingredient for success.
* Whether it’s confidence in your relationships, your career or in pursuing your passions, having that mental-boost can truly help you reach your full potential and feel more fulfilled along the way.